Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Jumping Ahead to Funkytown

Well, I've decided to go with the Jammin' at the Book Nook for my first outing/event.  I will be singing a number for "real", and I will also singing a number for fun with my pots and spoons...that were amazingly requested of me.  I'm going to try to have it videotaped. 

I do want to get somewhat ahead in scheduling; I need to get a pattern going in the beginning.  Here are my next choices for the week of January 22-28.  I may add a few if any cool things come up since it is a little ways away. 

1. Marching to the Music of the Revolution:
Musicians were an important part of the 18th-century military. Fifes and drums played from sunrise to sunset, and served as a primary mode of communication from commander to troops during battle. Tryon Palace has undertaken the exciting task of recreating a colonial fife and drum corps, which plays at numerous events throughout the year in New Bern and beyond. Come learn more about the music of the 18th century military, and experience it for yourself in this educational concert. (Note: Weather permitting, this event may be held in the gardens.


2. The Law is Too Slow: Lynching in North Carolina 1885-1906


As part of the Tryon Palace Historic Sites & Gardens' African American Lecture Series, Dr. Freddie Parker of North Carolina Central University will highlight the time from 1885 to 1906 when 43 people were lynched in North Carolina.

3. Kermit was Wrong - It IS Easy to be Green (at least in the garden)


Join us for a series of Garden lectures at 10 a.m. at Tryon Palace. The guest speaker in January will be Felder Rishing, Gardening Guru.

4. Shockwave Wrestling Entertainment presents Pro Wrestling:
Featuring a 10 Man Ladder Royal (whatever that means...) $7 at door, benefits to new West Carteret HS sign. 

No comments: